Transforming the future of back pain treatment
A simple, innovative, earlier treatment option for the world’s #1 source of disability - Back Pain!
Triojection™ From SpinaFX Medical
Minimally-Invasive Image-Guided Ozone Therapy1 .
The Triojection® System consists of a computer-controlled console and an ozone generation chamber inside a disposable single-use syringe and sterility case
Ozone generator and measurement console
- Indicated for patients with “Contained Herniated Discs” causing back pain which has not responded to conservative therapy1,2.
- Combines a self-contained, Ozone (O2+2.4% O3) generator and spectroscopic measurement.
- Patented, disposable exterior case and syringe adheres to key aseptic principles guaranteeing sterile ozone delivery.
- Built with high quality O3 and UV-compatible disposable syringe polymers including filters & stopcocks.
- Ensures consistent treatment with a sterile, metered, measured, accurate, precise and repeatable O2/O3 concentration at the point of care.
Filling a Therapeutic Gap for Contained Herniated Disc-Related Back and Leg Pain
Back Pain is the #1 cause of disability in the world1 and the most expensive health condition treated2.
1.NIH Low Back Pain Fact Sheet https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/Patient-Caregiver-Education/Fact-Sheets/Low-Back-Pain-Fact-Sheet
2.Dieleman JL, Cao J, Chapin A, et al. US Health Care Spending by Payer and Health Condition, 1996-2016. JAMA. 2020;323(9):863–884. doi:10.1001/jama.2020.0734
3.Al Qaraghli MI, De Jesus O. Lumbar Disc Herniation. [Updated 2021 Aug 30]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK560878/
Pioneering minimally invasive, image-guided treatments
A New Treatment Option for Radiculopathy
Nucleus Pulposus Volume Reduction
Our flagship treatment solution aims to relieve back and leg pain caused by a contained herniated disc through the intravertebral injection of a mixture of oxygen and ozone gas.1 This technology is not currently available for promotion or sale.
Promising research shows there is a potential for oxygen-ozone injections to help treat radiculopathy caused by a contained herniated lumbar disc. In fact, a study of 283 patients showed intradiscal ozone injections are associated with a statistically significant volume reduction of the herniated lumbar disc2. An average disc volume reduction was seen in 96.1% of treated disks six months after treatment2* Animal studies and mathematical modeling have shown a 6% nucleus pulposus volume reduction can lead to a 9.84% reduction in pressure, relieving nerve root compression and herniated disc-related pain.3
* Average disc volume reduction (mean 7.7+/-5.45%; range, 0.29%-22.31%). P < 0.0001.
- Triojection™ is not currently available for promotion or sale in North America, the EU, or the U.K. Triojection was previously awarded CE Mark under MDD and is undertaking re-registration under MDR. Contact SpinaFX for further information regarding anticipated commercial availability in your region.
- Lehnert T et al 2012, Lumbar Disk Volume before and after Ozone–Oxygen Injection, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22999458/
- Murphy et al, 2016, Percutaneous Treatment of Herniated Lumbar. Discs with Ozone: Investigation of the Mechanisms of Action.pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27363296/
How Ozone (O3) works
Nucleus Pulposus Breakdown
Ozone injected into the disc nucleus dehydrates and breaks down proteins* in the nucleus leading to reduction of the bulging disc herniation.
* Glycosaminoglycans (GAGs)-substituted proteoglycans
Murphy 2016, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27363296/
Lehnert T 2012, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22999458/
Ozone reduces the release of inflammatory proteins (cytokines) that lead to inflammation.
Ozone has proven antimicrobial properties. Reduced spine infection reduces potential degenerative (modic) changes in the disc, vertebral bones and reduces pain.
Holmes J. Clinical reversal of root caries using ozone, double-blind, randomised, controlled 18-month trial. Gerodontology. 2003 Dec;20(2):106-14. doi: 10.1111/j.1741-2358.2003.00106.x. PMID: 14697022.
Triojection vs discectomy
(Surgery can be done after triojection if needed in future)
1. Steppan, J,, Meaders, T, Muto, M, and Murphy, K: Metaanalysis of the Effectiveness and Safety of Ozone Treatments for Herniated Lumbar Discs. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2010; 21:534–548
2. Murphy K, Muto M, Steppan J, Meaders T, Boxley C. Treatment of Contained Herniated Lumbar Discs With Ozone and Corticosteroid: A Pilot Clinical Study. Can Assoc Radiol J. 2015 Nov;66(4):377-84. doi: 10.1016/j.carj.2015.01.003. Epub 2015 Jun 17. PMID: 26092159.
3. Murphy K P et al. Intradiscal Oxygen-Ozone Chemo-nucleolysis versus Microdiscectomy for Lumbar Disc Herniation Radiculopathy: A Non-inferiority Randomized Control Trial.